Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pumpkin Patch & Halloween Decorations!

Happy Thursday, folks!  Just one more day until the weekend!  There hasn't been much time for crafting this week (boo!) but we did carve out time (no pun intended!) to do a couple of fun fall things.  On Tuesday night we headed out to the pumpkin patch to pick pumpkins, and then last night we did a little Halloween decorating.  I thought I'd share some photos with you.

For the past three years we've headed to a local farm to pick our pumpkins with our good friends the Hill Family.  Usually we go on a weekend, but our schedules were extra packed this year so we ended up doing a weeknight.  It was actually a lot more relaxed, and very beautiful.


Anthony is always in charge of the wagon.  Thank goodness!  That sucker gets heavy with seven peoples' pumpkins in it!


We played on the playground and checked out the farm animals while we were there...


And of course we couldn't leave without two things:  1)  Sitting down and gorging on delicious homemade donuts and apple cider...


And flagging someone down to take our annual group photo.  Maybe I'm jinxing it by saying so, but somehow we ALWAYS end up getting a good picture of EVERYONE!  : )  Such a wonderful memory to keep each year!


I've never really decorated the exterior of our home for Halloween before.  Still being relatively new homeowners we don't have a lot of either Halloween or Christmas outdoor decorations, or the money to spend a lot of cash to buy them.  My Mum always says that you accumulate holiday decor over the years, so I'm kind of going with her philosophy and building our collection as we go along.

We have an enclosed porch and I change the tablecloth of our table out there for each season, so I've got the Halloween table cloth on now...


I picked up a box of orange lights for $3 and we hung them on some preexisting hooks in our front porch.  It took all of five minutes!  I figure I'll try to grab some more lights on clearance after Halloween for next year.  We then hung some ghosts from the lights - I was worried they wouldn't show up from the outside but you can see them really clearly, and at night the orange lights case a spooky glow over them!



A couple of $1 bags of cobwebs cover our bushes below the porch windows.  I need some big plastic spiders or something to put in them...


Our pumpkins from the pumpkin patch.  Pleas disregard the extreme need for our front steps to be painted!  Next year...  : )


To finish it off I'd really love some of those fake gravestones in front of the bushes.  Again, maybe I can get some on clearance after Halloween for next year.  All in all, we decorated (minus the pumpkins and mums, which will stay until closer to Thanksgiving) for about $7.  Deal!


I hope you're enjoying the fall season as much as I am!

4 comments:

AVinNYC said...

Love the decorations- and what a fun tradition at the pumpkin patch!!

Oh- and someday I would LOVE to grab some chicken tikka masala... YUM!

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

Yay... this is how it starts. Soon you're yard will look like mine.

: )

Maiden Jane said...

Beautiful photos! What a fun time you must have had! I like your decor - esp. the pumpkins on the steps. We have a few yard decorations but my oldest son used to put them up. My husband and I are too tired to do it...maybe Annie will take charge.

Unknown said...

Aw, your trip to the pumpkin patch looked like so much fun. I just love fall outings, and can't believe it's already almost halloween! I'm still just trying to get my Chicago bearings, and the year just keeps trucking on by me!

Your house looks so adorably festive, too!